[SECC] ATT mail and aluminum masts

Subject: [SECC] ATT mail and aluminum masts
From: lee.hiers at gmail.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:49:50 -0500
On Dec 28, 2007 3:50 PM, Jim Stafford <qrp at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Not sure what the problem is with Bellsouth/AT&T email unless he's doing it
> from work behind some kind of firewall.  I've had it for years and all my
> mail comes fine, just a comment.  I have all the spam filters set, etc.

I administer a 2700-address email newsletter list.  Most ISPs these
days consider that if you're trying to send that many emails in a
short period of time you must be up to no good, so I've had to resort
to a program that acts as an SMTP server, bypassing my ISP's server.
Bellsouth, among many other ISPs, will not allow mail connects from a
server with a dynamic IP, as they assume such is a spam mailing.  A
lot of spammers use their own SMTP servers, and in fact, the program I
use is probably primarily designed for spammers.  After I've made two
passes using my program as the server, I will usually have about 1900
of the emails sent.  The remainder are sent one at a time via my ISP's
SMTP server.  The Bellsouth emails go out then.  That's one
possibility that makes it difficult to send to Bellsouth addresses.

Another, which I see from Mindspring a lot, is that the customer has
set up a "feature" that if they have not OK'd your address, you get an
email back where you have to click a link so that the customer can
then approve you for sending email to them.  I've had that happen a
number of times with folks on this and other lists I've tried to send
direct comments to.  I rarely comply.  Often it is a response to a
question or a request for help.  I'm usually happy to help if I can,
but I'm not going to jump through hoops to do so.  For the large
mailing list I administer, those addresses are simply removed from the
list.

There are better ways of dealing with spam than either of these.

73 & HNY de Lee!
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"