[SECC] K4JRB retires as CQ 160 Director

Subject: [SECC] K4JRB retires as CQ 160 Director
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:09:19 -0500
Thanks for the many well wishes.

I had intended on retiring after the contest but the chat room box problem
was the last straw.  I will be involved to help (poor) Andy get in the
saddle!

I started helping Don N4IN (ex W3EIS, W3IN) in 1984.  In 1987 he turned over
the SSB portion to me as Don looked at every log in detail.  It was as if
they were personal letters to him.  He built a master call list on his
TRS-80 (with software provided by K4SB) and by 1987, I did the same on my
IBM PC.  Most of the elements of the UBN type report came from Don.  In the
early 90's there were between 250 and 300 SSB logs and nearly 600 CW.  Last
year the CW section logs (1600) far surpassed even the ARRL SS CW.  Thank
goodness for the cabrillo logging format and the crack log checking
programs.  Not only did the number of logs increased so did the average
number of QSOs per log AND the accuracy of the scores.

I trust everyone will wish Andy, N2NT, well as embarks on the ride of his
life.

73 Dave K4JRB