[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score 1/10/09 NAQP Practice Session

Subject: [SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score 1/10/09 NAQP Practice Session
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney III)
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 22:38:14 -0500
                    NCCC Sprint - Jan 10

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0:15

  160:  13     8
   80:   0     0
   40:   0     0
   20:   0     0
   15:   0     0
   10:   0     0
-------------------
Total:  13     8  Total Score = 104

FT1000MP, 100W, "T" vertical.  Got home from a party with about 15 minutes left.
 While laptop was warming up, tuned 40M and heard no activity.  Decided to go
directly to 160M.  Very enjoyable with some pretty distance stations answering
my CQs.  Band was very quiet.  N6RO even heard me!  Hope conditions will be as
good tomorrow.  But we have a 60 percent chance of rain tomorrow here!  My
tribander coax seems to have a direct short in it, so my NAQP activity this
month will be with wires only.  That may be a permanent situation since my
antenna man (WA4QHN) has some physical disabilities and has retired and no one
else locally knows of anyone I could hire to do tower work.  And I could never
do it myself.  Thanks to WA4QHN for almost 40 years of tower work for me,
starting when we were both stationed in Korea in 1968.  These practices were
very helpful to me because I discovered on Thursday that the antenna tuner for
my zepp, which arcs over at high power on 80M works perfectly with 100 watts.
And on Friday, I figured out how to make a quick QSY from 80 to 160 and back by
using the zepp on 80 and the 80M inverted vee converted to a "T" vertical on
160.  Think I'll put out the other two radials tomorrow morning if it isn't
raining too hard.  I haven't been able to make quick QSYs to and from 160 since
a short period of time when I had an inverted L up.  Hope to work you all on
many bands tomorrow in spite of the lack of a gain antenna.  Have fun and make
many QSOs!  73, John, K4BAI.