[SECC] Possible Busted Call Advice

Subject: [SECC] Possible Busted Call Advice
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:46:47 -0500
Mack wrote:
> I'd appreciate some advice from the veteran contesters in this group.
>
> I'm a long time ham but a novice contester. I worked 421 Q's on last
> weekend's CQ WW CW contest. I know I'm definitely a "little pistol"
> with  severe antenna restrictions.
>
> Here's my question. While operating S&P sometimes running stations would
> answer with an error in my call. I'd always send my call back twice,
> often at five or more WPM slower, and usually the running station would
> acknowledge the error by sending back my call correctly. I'm all set
> when that happens and log the contact. BUT, sometimes the running
> station would not acknowledge the correction or even send it back
> incorrectly again, and then go right to running the next station. What
> is the conventional wisdom? To go ahead and log the contact on my side
> even if I still suspect he has my call wrong in his log, not log the
> call, or do something else?
>
> Thanks a lot for your advice and I look forward to learning much from
> this group and the SEDXC.
>
> 73,
>
> Mack de WB4MAK

The conventional wisdom (originally, I think, from Trey, N5KO) is to
avoid that situation.  You avoid it by refusing to give the guy your QSO
information until he sends your call correctly.  Just continue sending
"WB4MAK" until he sends it himself.  This works most of the time.
Occasionally, the guy will send your call correctly (or you think you
hear it correctly) and then at the end of the QSO will send it wrong.
In those case, I continue to call for a reasonable period of time.  If
the guy gives your call correctly and says "QSO before" or "dupe" or
gives it correctly and a new exchange, I'll give him the QSO info again.
  He may have a bad call in his log, but I can't hope on CW to explain
that to him.  I may tell him about it on SSB.

The practical result of not getting it corrected for most QSOs is that
you get credit for the contact and the other guy loses credit due to a
busted call.  So, you are, most of the time, helping the other guy more
than yourself.  Of course, if you also want a QSL from him, you have an
added incentive to keep on trying to get him to acknowledge your correct
call.  73, John, K4BAI.