[SECC] IARU W4IX

Subject: [SECC] IARU W4IX
From: jrcccd at aol.com (John Colyard)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 00:09:16 -0400
 Anybody want to start a wire in the woods club?? Well I just had my small
40 meter Inv. V at 35 feet and I made up a simple 80 meter Inv. L just b4
the sun went down Friday nite, these antennas played well on their
respective bands, but using them on 20 and 15 with a tuner just wasn't
cutting it..although as soon as the sun was going down, the 40 meter Inv V
did work nice on 20 meters, I was S&Ping at a rate way better than any run
rate I had the previous 12 hours, it was fun pickin off as many HQ stations
as I cud get, then I went to 40 meters where I had great success getting Q's
with every station I called usually on the 1st call ( this was a nice treat
compared to all the big guns that cq'd in my face all day long ), after my
1st sweep from 7050 down, I found a hole at 7002 just below A08HQ, gave a
quick cq and low and behold, I think I had a response for the first time
running from a European station,,,well I stayed on 7002 for several hours
and when I finally headed to 80 meters ( probably a little too late ) I had
over 300 q's in the log on 40 with quite a bit of DX. Then 80m was pretty
noisy and I only hrd and wrkd a few European stations, but the US rate was
pretty decent for awhile. I flip flopped back and forth between 40 and 80
the rest of the way.I just couldn't get anything on 20 meters without a
yagi..I did play on 10 meters a little longer than I should have, I was
trying out my new ( actually it's a 25 yr old Hy Gain 105BAS that's been
rebuilt multiple times from Hurricane damage,  I went ahead and modified to
the new specs ) I actually felt loud on 10 meters with my 100 watts, I
managed to get 1 European ( IU9HQ ) a few Africans ( Ao8, CT3) 1 Carribean (
P40HQ ), and surprisingly I snagged 2 KL7's with NL7Z and W1AW/KL7. I
actually hrd several JA's around 2100Z but they were vy weak and really
didn't try them. So much for all this fun, time to get back to work..73's
Guys and CU all in the fall from NQ4I.   John W4IX

                IARU HF World Championship

Call: W4IX

Operator(s): W4IX

Station: W4IX

Class: SO Mixed LP

QTH: SC

Operating Time (hrs): 23

 Band  CW Qs  Ph Qs  Zones  HQ Mults

  160:    1      0      1       0

   80:  103      6      7       8

   40:  336     80     24      40

   20:  112     34     20      27

   15:   43     15     10       6

   10:   80     15      8       4

Total:  675    150     70      85  Total Score = 312,325