[SECC] CQWW VHF Contest Rover Trip This Weekend

Subject: [SECC] CQWW VHF Contest Rover Trip This Weekend
From: ku8e at bellsouth.net (Jeffrey Clarke)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:22:31 -0400

Hi All,

John, K4BAI, and I (and my two boys) are going to try a rover operation for
the first time this weekend in the CQWW VHF Contest.  We will probably be
using W4AN/r as our call. Our main goal is to activate EL79 , which occupies
a very small part of the Florida panhandle. I think this grid is pretty
rare. The plan is to drive to St George Island, FL (BTW it's NA-058 for you
IOTA chasers) on Saturday morning. We will activate in EL79 most of the day.
We also might activate EM70, EM80, and EL89 which are nearby. We will  be
staying  in Apalachicola overnight.

On the way home Sunday we will also try to activate EM71, EM81,EM82 and
EM72.

We will have a 20 ft mast with a 3 el 6 meter beam and a rectangular loop,
like the one I use at home. For 2 meters I am going make up a halo or some
type of loop antenna. If the band is dead we will probably be on 20 meters
activating NA-058. Hopefully 6 meters will be hopping like it has been
lately. (for my sake or John will never want to try this again !!!)  Hope to
work everyone.

Jeff  KU8E/4

P.S. I will also be on in the IOTA contest in a couple weekends from St
Simon's Island, GA NA-085. It will be a causal effort with just mobile
antennas since this is our annual family beach

vacation before school starts back up.