[SECC] CQ WW to send the station police

Subject: [SECC] CQ WW to send the station police
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:03:56 -0400
CQ WW continues to be paranoid as they now plan to send Committee members to
visit some stations during the contest.  For the life of me I cannot figure
out what they plan to accomplish.

First, notifying someone before the contest means that an entrant must
notify CQ WW that they plan to enter and in what catagory.  Otherwise they
will wait until the last second to enter.

Second, if only a short visit is planned they will see what the entrant
wants the person to see.  WRTC has a judge there full time and that makes
sense but a short visit is practically useless.

Is this another reaction to chat room or skimmer or the modifying of the 10
minute rule for Multi Single?
Single operators who use spotting can be caught and now those who wish to
fudge on the 10 minute rule can be found out by closer cross checking.
Care must be given to clock time as the computer clock is not an atomic
clock in this case.

Will a short visit stop a few from adding QSOs to the log they did not make
or even using say the CIS callbook as I found in the CQ 160?  Why not set
practical limits on unverified QSOs (uniques)?  Don't go looking for
cheaters when 99% of contestants have been proven to be honest.

With the vast number of contest log checkers available to the CQ WW and
improving software the number of contestants DQed can be increased merely by
turning down the limits on NIL's and uniques.  Just don't punish the
innocent or the ham who can afford to have a state of the art station.

I agree that its time to look closer at high scoring logs but unless CQ WW
wants to commit to full time judges I feel this is a waste of time.  The
recording requirement is good but I still feel should be optional.

Dave K4JRB   Involved with log checking for 25 years