[SECC] NR5M CQWW SSB w/ guest op KB4KBS/5

Subject: [SECC] NR5M CQWW SSB w/ guest op KB4KBS/5
From: scottstraw at mindspring.com (Scott Straw)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:01:06 -0400 (EDT)
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NR5M
Operator(s): NR5M K5GA KU5B K5MQ N5YA K5QE
KJ5T N5XJ NX5M W5KFT N5OAO K5NZ KB4KBS/5 KZ5KG

Station: NR5M

Class: M/M HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  244    16       34
   80:  445    25       85
   40: 1126    33      119
   20: 1409    38      151
   15: 1441    34      140
   10:  278    13       40
------------------------------

Comments by KB4KBS/5:

I missed the initial attack on Friday night, but arrived around 2130CT Saturday
night and stayed for the remainder.  I was able to do some good on the bands
for about 5 hours then took a four hour nap.  For the final 12 hours, we were
able to keep most all of the "live" bands active all of the time.  The roster
lists 14 players which seems like a lot, but the truth is, we could have used a
few more at different times.  A 48 hour radio-sport marathon is a grueling
crucible.  By the time Sunday afternoon rolled around, the running stations
were giving out more Zone 4 contacts for domestic stations than collecting DX
points, and the S&P stations were reduced to watching the spotting lists for
new stations,  It was nice to know that we had the dB gain we needed to wade
through the pile-ups for new mults.

We missed a zone sweep by 2 on 20M, 6 on 15M and 7 on 40M.  To log 105 of 120
zones on the "money bands" is a nice fete.  The biggest bell ring was reserved
for a DL on 160M (double mult) with about 15 minutes to go in the contest.  The
lesson learned from this was to use every band you have as much as you can.

My personal highlight was working a VU for the much-needed double-multiplier
number 37 on 20M.  The big surprise was the 15M band being so wide open. The
10M and 160M bands were a pleasant find as well.

When this station goes QRV for the CW session, hold on! I'm convinced that most
of these guys are better CW ops than SSBers, so I will be expecting even
greater scores if the band conditions hold.

Scott KB4KBS/5

Scott Straw, CTS-D, CTS-I, EMT-I
AVI-SPL
Houston, Texas USA