[SECC] Score Comparisons, Claimed vs Allowed, NA Sprint CW Feb 2010

Subject: [SECC] Score Comparisons, Claimed vs Allowed, NA Sprint CW Feb 2010
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:23:01 -0500
As a matter of curiosity, I checked the claimed scores that I had
collected for NA Sprint CW against the preliminary results.  Apparently
none of us had a "Golden Log."  As a matter of interest, here is what I
came up with:  I haven't checked the rules, but assume that the
difference also represents penalties as well as bad QSOs that were
removed.  I think we did really well.

Call   Claimed Score     Allowed Score   Point Difference  % Difference

K4BAI         12,900     12,814           86               0.67
W4MR (AA4NC)  12,126     11,997          120               1.0
W4NZ          11,802     11,634          168               1.4
NA4K          10,332     10,290           42               0.4
KU8E          10,320     10,000          320               3.2
N4PN          10,492      9,847          645               6.1
K1ZZI          9,020      8,528          492               5.45
W4AU           8,362      8,214          148               1.77
K4NO           8,120      7,960          160               1.97
NA4BW          4,810      4,662          148               3.08
N5VI           4,686      4.554          132               2.9

Hope I did those right.  What can we learn from this?  The most likely
reason for a bigger than average change is that a mistake caused the
loss of a multiplier.  We lose credit for QSOs (and mults if we don't
work another station in that section) when we log incorrect information
or when we don't appear in the other station's submitted log.  It is
important to be sure that the other station confirms receipt of our
information (and isn't underneath the pile of callers sending NR??).
And that we acknowledge receipt of the other station's information.  If
some guys don't hear a "R" or "TU" or a dit from us, they may call us
and then delete us from the log.  There are a few guys who get in such a
big hurry or who get busy on the second radio and don't give us an
acknowledgment.  Then we have to make a judgment.  Did he copy it OK and
we didn't hear the acknowledgment or did he move on without realizing
that we had answered him?  I think use of full QSK gives us some help in
knowing what is happening on our frequency.  However, I realize that
full QSK is very distracting for the SO2R ops, so it may be a trade off
in favor of SO2R with a slightly increased error rate becoming possible.

These observations are offered only in a constructive way.  Not too many
of us are participating in Sprint Contests, but it is a fun way to
contest and the Thursday night practices that I mention each week are a
good way to build up abilities in s shorter number of months or years
than would be possible only operating one or two actual sprints a year.

Be sure to promptly submit your claimed score and Cabrillo log to the
NCJ sponsor (not just the score to 3830) within seven days after each
sprint.  Adn join us on Thursday nights when you can.

73, John, K4BAI.