[SECC] Update - WPX CW Contest - SECC Ready - May 29th

Subject: [SECC] Update - WPX CW Contest - SECC Ready - May 29th
From: aa4ga at contesting.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:11:04 -0400
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Hal Kennedy <halken at comcast.net> wrote:

> S9V vertical:
>
> 1.  Not resonant on any band - not even 40M.
> 2.  Will require a significant radial field to do much of anything.
> 3.  SWR on bands other than 40 will be so high you may not get a match,
> and if you do coax loss will be terrible.
>
> Forget it

I dunno about that.  I'd never heard of them before, so I did a quick
Google...it looks like it's just a 31' wire supported by a fiberglass mast.
 I would reckon that it would work as well on 40m as any other 31'
wire...add a couple feet of wire and it would be resonant on 40.  Yes, a
good ground is required, but that's required of any 1/4 wave vertical.  I
think with 30-40 quarter-wave radials it would be a pretty decent DX antenna
for 40m...I know my Butternut HF2 was, and it was even shorter.  Of course,
any 1/4-wave wire would be as well - the advantage I see of the S9V is that
it's self-supporting.

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA