[SECC] What would you do?

Subject: [SECC] What would you do?
From: scottstraw at mindspring.com (Scott Straw)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:14:24 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I've sent the following message to Sean Kutzko, KX9X, at the ARRL Contesting
Branch but thought I'd give y'all something to gnaw on other than a grizzled
turkey bone for the next few days...

So I was having a wonderful time with SSB SS and things were moving right
along? N1MM was great ? especially with the telnet spots from K1TTT.  I was
down to three sections needed ? WV, SFL and NL.  Suddenly I see a call sign in
red, indicating it is a needed station, so I click and marvel at the whirring
of the radio as it navigates to the location of the needed station.  Bang! I
grab him no problem. WV is in the bag! Suddenly, I realize He is at 14.211MHz ?
well below the operating limit of 14.225 for a General Class licensee.
Embarrassed and disappointed, I deleted the contact from my log.  I was hopeful
that my faux pas would go unnoticed, but alas, no such luck.  I received a
message via ?the other? QSO confirmation website wanting to confirm the
illegitimate contact.  I replied to the message and explained my error and then
received this message:

Hello KB4KBS,
Scott. I think you should keep the qso you deleted in the log. For me it was a
valid qso - now as a result of your action, I will get penalized for NIL + one
qso.
As you see, for your mistake I am taking the brunt. The proper way should be to
leave the qso in the log.

Other than a stern tongue lashing for my carelessness, what other comments,
guidance, and advice would you offer? (besides ?upgrade you slackard!?)

Sheepishly,

Scott, KB4KBS

(BTW, I picked up W8RAT in the General band with about 15 minutes left inthe
contest)

Scott Straw, CTS-D, CTS-I
AVI-SPL
Atlanta, Georgia USA