[SECC] NAQP SSB W4BW Single Op LP

Subject: [SECC] NAQP SSB W4BW Single Op LP
From: w4bw at w4bw.net (Bob Wilson)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:07:03 -0500
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: W4BW
Operator(s): W4BW
Station: W4BW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Gerogia
Operating Time (hrs): 10.0

  160:   15    11
   80:  164    40
   40:   88    37
   20:  152    33
   15:  101    18
   10:    5     4
-------------------
Total:  525   143  Total Score = 75,075

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #1

Comments:

Great contest - I really like the format of NAQP with stns / mults by band and
the 10 hr length.  This is my favorite domestic contest of the year.

I planned a substatial Part Time effort, and ended up having such a good time
that I had to make it a full 10 hrs.  15m was pretty good for me, but 20m
seemed to have a higher than usual QRN level and just never produced as I had
hoped.  40m seemed to go long early and I just never got cranked up there as I
needed.  And I think there are some opportunities to greatly improve over my
40m sloper antenna.  I did get a small opening on 10m to the west coast only
and snagged a few Q's and Mults there.  Tnx to K4WZ for the QSY to 10m for GA
as a mult.

I lost about 25 mins of operating time when I took a dinner break and came back
with about 5 mins to go to make a 30 min off time.  As I sat down at the rig, a
station who was runing on the 40m freq the rig happened to be on went QRT and
there was a beautiful frequency available, just begging me to call "CQ".  I
still wasn't planning to go the full 10 hrs, so it was too good to pass up.  I
should have waited the 5 mins to make it a 30+ min off time and ignored the
inviting freq.  Lesson learned!

I also learned there is another contester in Stockbridge.  I kept bumpting into
Dennis - K4NV on all bands.  Turns out he lives just a few miles away and he
had a great signal and big rate.  It's good to meet another contester in your
back yard, but not too close in your backyard!

Bob - W4BW