[SECC] Work in progress at K4JRB

Subject: [SECC] Work in progress at K4JRB
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:26:57 -0400
I have gotten several things done to get me closer to operating.  I got a
tree man out and he removed the limbs in the way of turning the beams
(mainly the 40).  I fixed the PCB headphone jack in the second Yaesu.  The
jack is like a control center in that not only is it a headphones jack but
controls the external and internal speaker which I seldom use.

I got a second operational Yaesu which came from
a repair ham in Dallas.  I need to set the RF out to Yaesu's suggested 120W
and He set one S meter control (gain) per the tech manual but forgot to set
the S meter sensitivity so loud signals read less than S2 above 17 meters.
I will use this with my 8877 amp in the main station.  I will put the first
Yaesu with my Henry 2K to use mainly on 17, 15, 12, and 10.  The Henry 2K is
off to repair Friday (I hope) so I am barefoot on 17 and 12 for now.  I did
work VU2ELJ just after 1700Z on 12 meter SSB on just one call but I could
not break the VU4
on 12 the other evening (wish he was as strong as VU2ELJ).

I think I will enter the SP contest on 40 and maybe work a few QCWA Party
QSOs.  The problem is my shack PC went to the happy hunting ground and my
Yaesu FIF232 no longer works and I sold my second interface to K5AM so at
best I will be using an old version of K8CC's NA while trying to figure a
way to download N1MM.  This PC is on earthlink dialup so downloads are next
to impossible. I bought the XYL a flash drive to load pictures on her frame.
Maybe I can download it on comcast and load N1MM on the flash drive.

I plan to move the Icom 740 to 6 meters using the 1208 transverter and the
MFJ 150 watt amp.  Hopefully that and the K9MU modified Cushcraft 5 el beam
will be done by June for the June VHF Party.  The Icom is the only rig of
have that can be cut down to 6 watts or less with no peaks on SSB or CW that
might damage the Ten Tec transverter.  The two problems is the Icom is not
CAT controllable and does not have FM.

I am sorry to say the XYL has me in Nashville during the GAQP.

still no approval from my three docs to run all out in contests.

73 Dave K4JRB