[SECC] forwarded for Fred

Subject: [SECC] forwarded for Fred
From: gmacie at yahoo.com (Gordon Macie)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 05:51:39 -0700 (PDT)
For some reason some of Fred's emails are bouncing. So I am forwarding his
comments to the reflector. Sorry but it's not wrapping well.

Gordon N4LR
-----------------------

Rick,

I don't have a lot of time to spend on this, but I have given this
considerable thought since our brief conversation by tx.  First, I would
like to say that I do agree with you to some extent that distance based
scoring is a step in the right direction, but don't think that it is all
encompassing in "leveling the playing field".   I did a few calculations
today and found for example:

The straight line distance between Boston and Frankfurt is approximately
3669 miles or 5904 kilometers.

The straight line distance between Atlanta and Frankfurt is approximately
4603 miles or 7408 kilometers.

The straight line distance between Rippey, IA and Frankfurt is
approximately 4566 miles or 7348 kilometers.

The straight line distance between Minot and Frankfurt is approximately
4480 miles or 7210 kilometers.

The straight line distance between Los Angeles and Frankfurt is
approximately 5790 miles or 9317 kilometers.

I would have thought that it was further from Minot than from Atlanta to
EU, but according to the calculator that I used, it isn't, however, you
don't see many scores coming from that neck of the woods that are similar
to those from Atlanta.  However, what I find particularly interesting, is
that N0NI's station is virtually the same distance to EU as me and
technically, slightly closer, however, we beat him in a multi this year, a
single tower station here vs. his multiple higher towers, stacks,
monobanders, etc.  He has me seriously outgunned on hardware.  Operators
aside, I do believe that hardware can make up some of the geographic
disadvantage, but didn't in this case.  My point is, that I don't think
that you can just hang your hat on distance.  I believe there are other
variables that should be considered as well.

Again, I agree with you to some degree, that distance does pose a
disadvantage, I'd just like the argument to encompass all of the variables
and do the appropriate homework before blindly voicing our opinions, even
though everyone is entitled to do that if they like.  Just a thought, but
maybe we should be putting our collective heads together and submit a
unified position to the ARRL, but I don't think it will be solely distance
that levels the playing field.

73'.....Fred, WW4LL