[SECC] Note About 10-year old Contester from Woodstock, GA

Subject: [SECC] Note About 10-year old Contester from Woodstock, GA
From: qrp at bellsouth.net (Jim Stafford)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:45:43 -0400
I guess others might be encouraged by Jacob; so here goes:

Jacob KJ4VWL is 10 years old and got his license in 2010.  He was
in my winter CW class offered for North Fulton ARL and he and
his dad W4CCH are members of NFARL.  Here's the cool part;
Jason may be one of only a very small handful of hams nationwide
who are Techs and use the 80,40, and 15M CW bands.  He really
ate up CW and has something like 25 states on CW!  Just like the
novice days.

He and his dad, Chris (who was also in the class but
is behind Jacob in CW) came over a week or so back and we just
messed around, talked QRP and CW, etc.  Chris would like for
him to concentrate on getting his General.  I kind of like him taking
his time and just keep with the CW.  I'm a bit afraid he will get
into phone and let his CW slide.  My experience is that those
who learn CW stick with ham radio for life and I want them to!

So if you hear Jacob on, slow down to at least 15 wpm and make
a contact with him.  He uses a straight key right now although
they have a paddle at their shack and I'm  encouraging him to use
in more and more.  He lives very close to the intersection of Cobb,
Cherokee, and Fulton county.

But isn't that neat?  He's a 10 year Tech and uses his CW privileges!

jim/w4qo