[SECC] self spotting fiasco

Subject: [SECC] self spotting fiasco
From: nq4i at contesting.com (Rick Dougherty NQ4I)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:40:13 -0400
Hi all...the issue I raised earlier this past weekend seems to have created
a divisive issue within the club still and yet. First, Hal N4GG has
reported in an email that he monitored
the cluster Saturday and did not see any issue with self spotting...so the
direction the SECC and SEDXC to allow self spotting seems to have been a
non issue. I have heard from a number of you in regards to the issue I
raised. I for one do care the direction we proceed,. ARRL club or not, IT
IS OUR QSO PARTY...and if we and our officers want to make self spotting
ok, then it's ok.....this is not CQWW or ARRL DX...this is a state qso
party where participation is directly related to publicity...spotting (read
self spotting) is a form of publicity...and if we didn't have a problem
Saturday ...then we don't have a problem going forward on this issue. Now
is the time to take the pulse of the membership and if self spotting is
what WE want then fine...if there is compelling reasons to not do then fine
also...I think it is too easy to get wrapped around the axle and say in a
blanket statement that self spotting is dangerous territory to head
into...Once again it wasn't an issue on Saturday...

I think there was a NFARL web page with a link that was used by the mobiles
to notify their moves etc...but was it a real problem?

Had there been a prolific amount of self spotting or out right begging for
qso's, then maybe that's the place to draw the line...

I think the GQP team did a really great job with this years contest....I
know first hand from my 2 years as President of the SECC that a tremendous
amount of work goes into the successful
running of the GQP...this is the first year after NE4S has stepped aside
and passed the reins to others and I think they have done an exceptional
job.

Changes I would recommend to the GQP committee: and these are my input
only, so take with a grain of salt.
1. Eliminate 160m ...activity level is low and not a single mobile I know
has the capability.
2. Eliminate 6 m ...same reason as above
3. Eliminate the Multi-Multi QRP level...not necessary and did anyone even
do it?
4. Consider mults by bands...i.e. you can work Illinois on each band and
sub band for a mult??
5. The times for the contest need tweaking also. Activity dropped off Sat
dramatically at 10 pm. Start Earlier on Sat?? Might consider the same
changes for Sunday. I would be in favor of
a Saturday start around 10 am to 10 pm.

Back to Net

de Rick