[SECC] Variable capacitor anti-arc information needed

Subject: [SECC] Variable capacitor anti-arc information needed
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:09:33 -0400
Normal procedure for arcing is to repplace
the plate or the entire variable capacitor.

K4DLI and I both had LK-500NTC no tune amps that had setting for each band.
The capacitors were OK but tended to arc.  The space available for replacement
was not very big and the ideal was to replace the capacitors with a small
vacuum variable with twice the power handling capacity.  Several years ago
Allen Bond (MGS4U) had some almost pencil thin vacuum variables which I have
seen at other sources.

I can't speak to the tape described in the October 2012 QST article but I would
sure hate to be in the middle of a contest when
an arc cut through the tape.

Just my opinion.

Dave K4JRB