[SECC] Announcement: BC QSO Party Next Weekend

Subject: [SECC] Announcement: BC QSO Party Next Weekend
From: k4bai at att.net (John Laney)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:19:59 -0500
Hi all,

Rebecca VA7BEC here, contest coordinator for the British Columbia QSO Party.
This post will be doing double-duty, maybe even triple-duty.

First, I'd like to thank those of you who offered helpful advice regarding logs
with problem entries last year after BCQP 2012. In the end, log quality was
really quite good. I was able to solve 99% of the obvious problems, either on
my own or with the cooperation of the log-submitter.

Second, it's time for the 2013 event. It's really just around the corner! Along
with several other same-day/weekend QSO parties and other on-air events. I'm
sure everyone will be working to maximize QSO potential.

If you haven't heard, here are the key details for BCQP 2013:

Date/Time: 1600z Feb 2 to 0400z Feb 3
Objective: BC stations can contact anyone anywhere. Stations outside BC must
catch the attention of BC stations.
Exchange: Stations outside BC give RS(T) + state/province. BC stations will
give RS(T) + three-letter code representing the federal electoral district in
BC.

Other information, including rules and multipliers, can be accessed from the
BCQP homepage on the Orca DXCC website. Visithttp://orcadxcc.org/bcqp.html
I've also created an at-a-glance summary of on-air events and the required
exchanges, mainly for my own benefit so that I can trade Qs quickly and
efficiently. The summary is available
athttp://orcadxcc.org/content/pdf/weekend_sked_2013.pdf  and might be of use to
operators in the state-side QSO parties with whom BC stations might try to
trade Qs. Pass along the link  to those who might benefit.

If anyone is interested in how the 2012 event played out and hasn't read the
report, it's here:http://www.orcadxcc.org/content/bcqp_2012_report.pdf

And third, plaques. I saw that there was a thread about plaques and it just so
happens that I can contribute a few comments.
One of the things that makes the BCQP unique, I think, is that we have
photo-based certificates with a different design every year for top scores from
BC and outside BC in each entry class. Beginning this year, we have a plaque
program and five categories have sponsors: Top Score BC, Top Score Canada
outside BC, Top YL Score, Top Score US and Most Federal Electoral Districts
Worked.

The plaque program was a bit of an after-thought and I only gave it passing
metnion in my promotion emails to test the waters. I don't think a plaque
program is attractive if a party doesn't get solid participation, and having
plaque categories without a competitive number of entries in those categories
is kind of sad. So while BCQP 2012 was a major success, I wasn't sure if there
would be sufficient interest in sponsoring plaques just yet. But there was. So
for sure, put the idea out for consideration. You don't know who might support
the cause if you don't ask.

For our puposes, we looked outside the club for sponsors, partly because
external sponsors will help draw participation. Indeed, the clubs that are
sponsoring plaques have really spread the word about BCQP and are planning to
organize teams to get on the air. This is great because teams are less likely
to quit after a couple of hours. Of course, if there are really excellent
results from an individual or a group and there is no plaque offered, Orca DXCC
will probably arrange for the appropriate acknowledgement.

We put the cost at $45, which will cover production and at least partially
cover postage, and we have made sponsorship open to any individual, business or
organization with some connection to amateur radio. We created a page on our
website and posted typical sponsorship categories -- top score in-province,
out-of-province and US, and most districts worked -- as well as some that may
or may not get picked up -- top YL score and top club score. And we are open to
suggestions.

As the BCQP becomes better established, the number of plaques offered will
undoubtedly increase. But we can't get ahead of ourselves. Everything depends
on participation.
The design of the plaque will match that of the certificate, so photo-related
tasks could become quite a chore to the plaque/certificate designer. But we'll
give it a try. If the plaques are attractive, they'll be hung on shack walls
and provide a contant reminder to get on the air again the next year (I hope).
I think the plaque program is a wonderful step forward on our BCQP journey.

Good luck to those of you holding parties the Feb 2-3 weekend. Hope to work
you. I'll be on phone again with the sponsor callsign VA7ODX. Drop by if you
hear me CQing.

73,
Rebecca VA7BEC
Orca DXCC, Contest Coordinator, BCQP