[SECC] Counting "Off Times" in Contests

Subject: [SECC] Counting "Off Times" in Contests
From: k4bai at att.net (John Laney)
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:28:32 -0400
I am forwarding this to the DX and Contest reflectors because it
contains an easy to understand explanation of how to compute off times
in contests.  If you follow this, you will be safe.  If you accept what
your computer tells you, you may be one minute short of the minimum off
time and won't be able to subtract that from your maximum operating time
in a given contest.  73, John, K4BAI.

It is important to note that "60 minutes" means (as far as I know) 60
consecutive "empty" clock minutes during which no QSO was logged.
(Seconds are not considered - again, as far as I know.)

This is a valid 60-minute off time in a log:
1358 QSO
1359 QSO
     first empty minute at 1400
     last empty minute at 1459
1500 QSO
1501 QSO

This is NOT a valid 60-minute off time in a log:
1358 QSO
1359 QSO
     first empty minute at 1400
     last empty minute at 1458
1459 QSO
1500 QSO

There must be 60 consecutive "empty" minutes. The "time B minus time A"
gap of 1459 - 1359 = 60 does not meet the 60-minute test because only 59
consecutive minutes are actually "empty" - the last "empty" minute is
1458, not 1459.

Leaving a gap of 60 "empty" minutes is always the safest way to be sure
one is in compliance with off-time minimum-break rules since the exact
requirement is rarely stated exactly, nor are the consequences of a
violation spelled out.  Be safe and don't lose a big chunk of your log
because you were one minute too hasty!

If this is incorrect, please educate me, contest sponsors.

73, Ward N0AX