TRP vs TR

Subject: TRP vs TR
From: ericr@access.digex.net (Eric Rosenberg)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:53:28 -0500 (EST)
Tree --

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Larry Tyree wrote:

> This change is being made as I am no longer an employee of Cascade Microtech.

I hope hte move is a good one. What are you doing now?

> Why TRP?  Well, some people have been running out of memory.  Generally
> this is because they either don't have any extended memory to load
> other programs into (and even DOS), or they haven't run MEMMAKER to
> free up enough memory in the lower 640K, or maybe they are trying to
> make too many contacts or something like that.

Well, at the moment I run TR as a dos session under OS/2. Can't quite get
teh lpt cw keying straight, but that'll come (I hope).

If/when I run a DOS machine, I only hope I make too many contacts! Not
likely from this pea-shooter station.

> I have had some comments that TRP runs slower than TR.  This is quite
> possible as I am sure there is overhead associated with dealing with
> extended memory.  The programs RTM.EXE and DPMI16BI.OVL support
> extended memory use.  Anytime you put a program between you and memory,
> something is going to slow down.

You didn't tell the uninitated that RTM and DMPI were included as part of
the package. I thought they were 'it's late and I gotta getit out'
oversights!

> I think the best plan is to continue using TR as the standard release,
> and make TRP available as a special order.

I agree. You might want to add some comments in the manual regarding
memory nad recommend some memory managers.

And now, an unrelated question...

Printing QSLs. I have an HP LJ2P, have never seen the labels you refer
toin your (admittedly older than the recent) manual.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric  WD3Q
ericr@access.digex.net