TR Log news

Subject: TR Log news
From: larrytx@SSD.intel.com (LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 10:18:53 PDT
Just thought I would send a note to the list with a brief update on what
is going on behind the scenes here at TR Log.

First off, I received many positive comments about the software during
the WRTC event.  Several people said something like: "I know your program
is better than CT - but I am used to CT and haven't taken the time to
learn how to use yours."  Even one or two well known operators who have
been using CT because they like it better than TR said they are going to
be switching this year.

I spent some quality time with OH2MM who I consider one of our "super
users".  Ville has contributed many ideas to the development of the
program over the past few years.  I was alarmed to find out that he
converts his log into CT format after the contest so he can generate
reports using CT instead of POST!  I had him give me copies of the
reports that he is getting and I am busy adding them to POST.  He
even had a few ideas on new reports that CT doesn't have that I can
add too.  These reports take about 8 hours each to program, but I
hope to knock one or two off a week until they are all done.

Another neat idea Ville had, and N4TY came up with it just today as well,
is to interface a footswitch to the program that can be programmed to
perform a specific event (like emulate the footswitch or something).
Ville came up with this around 1:30 AM with my roommate WN4KKN listening
in.  I very seriously told Ville that we could probably emulate most
any key on the keyboard, except the RETURN key since it was too big.
Maybe you had to be there, but eventually Trey couldn't take it any
more and just started laughing uncontrolably.

N4TY thought I could use 3 of the available inputs on the parallel port
to do different things.  I will look closely at this as it sounds like
the type of feature I like to put into the program.

I also spent some time with OK2FD who is my Czech Republic distributor
for the program (through SM3OJR who controls Europe).  Karel had some
good ideas as well including implementing their VHF QSO point calculation
which depends on the distance between grid squares for the QSO points.

He also wanted to have a way to assign QSO POINTS for CW and SSB (ie:
QSO POINTS CW = 4).  This has been done, but with an additional
parameter.  The next release will have QSO POINTS DOMESTIC CW, QSO POINTS
DOMESTIC PHONE, QSO POINTS DX CW and QSO POINTS DX PHONE as LOGCFG.DAT
commands that will over-ride the QSO POINT METHOD as desired.  This
should make it possible to cover additional contests.

Karel also wanted similar commands for multiplier value.  I guess some
contests count multiplier for CW at 2X phone mults.  This might be a
little more tricky, but I will look into it.

N0AX found an interesting bug.  If you edit the LOG.DAT file and enter
an illegal mode (in this case C| instead of CW), the program will crash
when loading in the log.  The next release will show you the QSO with
the illegal information and then after you press a key, continue loading
in the load (ignoring that QSO).  If you want to fix it, stop the program,
edit the bad QSO and then restart.  Before, you didn't have any idea why
it was crashing and you didn't get to see the QSO.

K2MM didn't like a few details about the install program which has been
improved.  The TR program is also more intelligent about finding directories
which might include .CTY, .DOM or names files.

Some people during WRTC complained about the inability to work dupes
during CQing, but having the dupe check not work when S&Ping.  This
was made this way for the internet sprint.  The next version will
have AUTO DUPE ENABLE CQ and AUTO DUPE ENABLE S AND P to allow you
to control the two functions individually.

One of our HB9 users found zone 30 in the IARU contest counting QSO points
incorrectly - this was because zone 30 was considered to be in Europe,
not Asia.  This is fixed for the next release.

Currently, I am about 6 months behind in responding to requests for
updates (in some cases).  I tend to be much more responsive to e-mail
than written letters as it is easier to respond to.

Guess there won't be a shortage of things to work on during the upcoming
years!!!

I will probably hold off making a new release until all the new reports
are implemented and perhaps the footswitch interface is done.

By the way, there are now over 200 subscribers to this reflector.  I am
very happy to see some of the recent technical exchanges that have
occured.  Please use this reflector as your first choice for asking
questions.  The more other people can help you with your question, the
more time I will have to implement new features.

Also, I want to thank WB5VZL who has really helped out since coming
aboard.  With him and SM3OJR handling much of the details of running
this project - it has allowed me to continue enhancing the program
using the limited free time I have instead of using it printing
manuals and making disk copies.

Another amazing statistic is that 100 of you are receiving updates via
the internet.  This is great.

Just a reminder that we haven't been real good about keeping track of
the subscriptions for continuing access to updates after one year.  If
you know your year is up, please continue to support the program with
your yearly subscription.  Thanks!

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com