TRLOG "INITIAL.EX" or backup crashing

Subject: TRLOG "INITIAL.EX" or backup crashing
From: becker@shell.portal.com (Tony and Celia Becker)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 22:48:57 -0600
Hi All!

At 02:43 PM 8/17/96 -0600, I wrote:
>What is going on here?  Is INITIAL EXCHANGE broken or are we doing something
>wrong?

It turns out that something WAS broken, but not the INITIAL EXCHANGE.

During the SprINT, TRLog 5.51 crashed the first time it tried to write a backup
file to floppy.  This had happened before whenever I tried to run the Windows
for Workgroups 3.11 network and TR at the same time.  I assumed this was more
of the same, and rebooted without the network driver, IFSHLP.SYS, installed.  I
completed the SprINT without further trouble (except the self-inflicted kind).

Last week I downloaded and installed version 5.75 because I had been meaning to
get the BAND MAP CALL WINDOW fix for since 5.60.

Yesterday, during the NAQP SSB, 5.75 crashed as soon as it tried to make a
backup.  I double checked, and no, the network was not running.  I tried
several other fixes, including a CLEAN boot, but TR still totally locked up
whenever it tried to make a backup.  Finally, I just disabled the backup
feature.

At this point, the INITIAL EXCHANGE feature I was also trying to get working
came to life!  The Names and QTHs from NAQP CW which I had put in a file named
INITIAL.EX began to appear in the exchange window.  Curiouser and curiouser!

Have any of you had a similar problem?  Could it be related to the use of an
ancient ESDI disk and controller?
AE0M, Tony Becker - becker@shell.portal.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.