BayPac Packet Modem

Subject: BayPac Packet Modem
From: ku7y@sage.dri.edu (Monte Stark)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 07:37:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I just got this software up and running and have a couple
of questions:  (And no, I will not say how long it took
to figure out that I needed to put KEYER OUTPUT = in the
log file!)  :-)

1) Has anyone used a BayPac Model BP-1 Packet Modem with
this software and if so, how did you do it?  (This is the
little modem that's built into a DB25 housing)

2) I am using a 386 computer. The noise is very bad on
the packet freq. How do you handle all the noise?

3) I also have an old 8088 that I could use. It is not
too noisy. I could get the program for that machine, stay
with the older version that I am evaluating now or move
up to the newest one. What do you feel are the pros and
cons?

I will be running QRP in a few of the major contests, mainly
single band. Also many of the little QRP club contests. Making
it work for the odd contests is a concern for me.

After better than 40 years of hamming, I guess it's time to
move into the 90's! I use these computers for everything else,
both at work and home, so might as well try contesting with
one!

Must say that after playing with the simulator that I'm
impressed!

Thanks for any help and/or opinions. cul,

73, Ron,

.........KU7Y.....ARCI #8829.....Monte "Ron" Stark.....
....ku7y@sage.dri.edu...........Washoe Lake, Nevada....
....QRP-L #17...ARS #49...NorCal #330.....NRA LIFE.....