Some advice?

Subject: Some advice?
From: w1hij@contesting.com (w1hij@contesting.com)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 22:39:42
Bob, W2GG

Only suggestion I can offer is that you need to look for a laptop
with preferrably TWO serial ports, not counting an internal modem.
The biggest problem with using the laptop is lack of available
slots to insert cards such as the contest card.

My shack computer is a Compaq 286 laptop with an old (and I do mean
old, 1982) CGA color monitor one of the original IBM monitors. It
works great for me and I have no problem with speed or any other
issues. (I don't try to run two radios off it however and that
could be a problem).

I run TR as a contest logging program and WJ2O Master Log as my
permanent record log for normal contacts and DX chasing.

Incidentally I also run a BayPac HF modem on the same machine and
it works just fine.

I don't think you have to worry about processing power being an
issue.

My suggestion would be to consider using something other than a
laptop unless there is an overwhelming reason for that approach.
(The only reason I use one is that I had it lying around and didn't
have anything else that was available. However, if I was going to
go out and buy one, I'd seriously consider a minitower case that
could sit on the floor.

Another issue that I had to deal with is the fact that most laptops
have plastic cases and that plus the fact that the machine sits on
the same desk as the rig meant increased RFI from the computer. My
solution which works just fine is a bunch of toroids from Amidon.
Greatest invenstion since sliced bread!!

If you have any questions, email as W1HIJ@contesting.com or my
office phone (714) 740-1113 in S. California.

GL & 73 de Bill, W1HIJ
>Date:  7 Nov 1996 20:00:03 -0500
>From:  "Robert Dannals" <robert_dannals@tracer.nm.jhu.edu>
>Sender:        owner-trlog@akorn.net
>To:    "TRlog Discussion Group" <trlog@contesting.com>
>Subject:       Some advice?
>
>                      Subject:                              Time:
7:56 AM
>  OFFICE MEMO         Some advice?                          Date:
11/8/96

>Quick question for the group.  I am considering buying a laptop
PC.  If you
>presently had your choice of those available, are there any
personal
>preferences (or what specs, if any, are considered most
desirable), if the
>goal was to run TRlog optimally - CW and SSB?
>
>I would be interested in hearing from anyone who using a laptop or
is
>considering a similar purchase.
>
>73 de Bob - W2GG
>robert_dannals@tracer.nm.jhu.edu