Version 5.90 release notes

Subject: Version 5.90 release notes
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:04:18 -0800 (PST)
> >  - Way to send "unique" CW.  The following control characters have been
> >    added to send CW elements of various lengths.  The normal dit length
> >    is 10 and the normal dah length is 30.
> >
> >    Dah Length = 22  Control-E          Dit Length =  6  Control-P
> >    Dah Length = 26  Control-Dash       Dit Length =  8  Control-Q
> >    Dah Length = 30  Control-K          Dit Length = 10  Control-\
> >    Dah Length = 34  Control-N          Dit Length = 12  Control-V
> >    Dah Length = 38  Control-O          Dit Length = 14  Control-L
> >
> >    You can combine these elements with normal characters.  For example,
> >    you can send a six with a long dah with Control-O followed by an H.
> >    Control characters can be programmed when using the Alt-P command
> >    by pressing first Control-P, then the Control character you want.
> >

> I don't actually need this, but the thought occurs: what if one wants to
> send a long dah at the end of a character?

I guess you would have to compose the whole character with the above
commands.  If you tried to send H followed by ControlO, you would have
a letter spaces after teh H.  You can only mix the two if you have the
special character at the start (i.e. Control-O H).

> Suppose I want to send "TR" , with the "T" being a long dah. (Why would
> one do that?)
>
> The space between the T and the R should be 30 units, right? How would
> one get that? The long T gives you 10. And I assume that the normal
> inter-character space gets added after the T, so now one ends up with 40.

Well, 40 might sound okay.  You can use the ^ character instead of a space
which gives you 15 instead of the 30 you get with the space.  You can
also use a trick of putting some character that doesn't send anything
and get a space of 20 after it (just like any other character).  That
with the 10 you get after the funny characters is "perfect", but it
isn't clear that you would care that much.

That is, if you can find a character that doesn't generate some kind of CW!

Aren't you sorry you asked now?

Tree N6TR
n7tr@jzap.com (Hey - he took my call - I can take his e-mail address!)