LPT port failure **UPDATE**

Subject: LPT port failure **UPDATE**
From: ocker@chasind.com (Charlie Ocker)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:47:46 -0600
Greetings, fellow TR users...

About a week or so ago, I posted a query to this reflector asking for
assistance
in debuggin an apparent LPT port failure.  First of all, I'd like to thank all
who responded.  Replacing the LPT card fixed **most** of the problems, but a
new
one has arisen.

TR can now send cw and operate the rig/amp ptt via LPT port.  Therefore, it
makes sense that my original LPT card did indeed "smoke" during the CQWW CW
test. However, when trying to use the paddle interface, some really weird
things
happen.

1)  When bringing up TR for the first time in an empty directory (i.e. no
logcfg.dat file) and walking through the steps to create the logcfg.dat, the
paddle interface works as does the rest of TR.

2)  When invoking TR in a directory with an existing logcfg.dat file AND having
the paddle port defined in this file, TR does not get beyond the initialization
screen.  It stops at reading the .CTY file, then the screen *blinks* and a
single "di-dah" emits from the computer speaker.  Nothing else happens.  Now
for
the weirdness.  The paddle port is operational.  The function key CW memories
are operational.  TR sends cw and operates the ptt correctly.  I can change
modes from RUN to S&P.  I can even exit the program.  But the screen doesn't
change... it is "stuck" in the initialization.

3)  When invoking TR in a directory with an existing logcfg.dat file AND NOT
having the paddle port defined in this file, TR initializes and operates
correctly.

4)  I tried the above with version 5.91 and the latest, 5.93.  Didn't have time
to regression test back to earlier versions.

Any ideas?  Another LPT card?  The new one came from the PC graveyard here at
my
place of employment.

73 and thanks in advance,

Charlie  N9CO   ocker@chasind.com