[TRLog] Interfacing TR to KAM

Subject: [TRLog] Interfacing TR to KAM
From: CPreddy@aol.com (CPreddy@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 21:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
I am in the process of upgrading my shack and learning the many wonders of
TR. The HF rig interface to my new TS870 worked great as soon as I realized
there were two internal menu options for 4800 baud; one with 1 stop bit and
one with 2 (only the former works). However I had a very hard time getting
the packet interface working with my KAM. I finally solved the puzzle, and I
thought this information might be helpful to others

Contrary to some advice I saw on the reflector recently, it is not
necessarily sufficient to simply set the ABAUD parameter to 4800. My KAM
(V7.1) is PERMed run at 9600 and is normally in host mode. Setting ABAUD 4800
changes nothing. To set up for TR compatibility I found that I need to:

1. Revert to Terminal mode  (INTFACE TERM, or in my case de-select KaWIN
option for ?host mode close?)
2. Using any simple terminal program running at 9600, set ABAUD to 0
3. Turn the power off on the KAM,  set the terminal program to 4800 (max for
TR),  power on the KAM, wait for the prompt and enter an asterisk to set the
new baud rate.
4. Set the EIGHT BIT PACKET PORT = TRUE option and specify the correct PACKET
PORT and PACKET BAUD RATE settings.

Somehow I had the parameter PMODE (power-up mode) set to RTTY. This is a
nasty one because the unit will not appear to respond to keystrokes until you
exit with ctrl-C+X. Setting PMODE NONE defaults to command mode and the
wonderful ?cmd:? prompt finally appeared in the ctrl-B window.
Of course, the contest was over by then ....Oh well, next time.

73 de KU2N