[TRLog] We have a winner!!

Subject: [TRLog] We have a winner!!
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 23:11:46 -0800 (PST)
This posting was so great, I decided to create a new award - the
monthly great post award - and to give the award to VE3IAY.  I
couldn't have said it better myself (and I am sure K6LL can
attest to that after getting my terse response).  Rich wins
a three month extension to his subscription (which could be really
neat if he is a life member).

Here is the winning message in case you missed it:

From: Richard Ferch <ferch@storm.ca>
Subject: [TRLog] Re: SS - scary start

David O. Hachadorian (k6ll@juno.com) wrote:

>Before the contest started, I had the bright(?) idea to put the
>following statement into logcfg.dat:
>
>INITIAL EXCHANGE CURSOR POSITION = AT START

snip

>Well, 2100Z rolled around, and my first qso was W5TFB, and
>the program brought up 51 STx just fine from the database.
>I then typed in his 1 Q, but when I hit the enter key to
>log the QSO, W5TFB was ERASED from the call window, and
>1Q51STx appeared in BOTH windows. The message PLEASE FIX
>EXCHANGE was displayed, and the contact could not be logged.
>
>Fortunately I guessed right away that the new logcfg statement
>was the problem, and it caused only a brief delay. It was
>quite a shock, though.
>
>It looks like the problem occurs with any single-digit serial
>number. Naturally, when I checked it out before the contest, I
>used two-digit numbers. I was using v6.15.
>
>Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>K6LL@juno.com
>Yuma, AZ

I used the same statement in my logcfg.dat successfully, simply by
entering a space between the precedences and the checks, e.g.
1Q 51STx instead of running it all together. Without the space,
the syntax is a bit too close to a legal call sign (in some
cases it could even be legal -- 9A50CT is not as far out as some
special event calls). You can imagine the difficulty of writing code
to decipher the exchange, especially if it also has to support the
CALLSIGN UPDATE ENABLE = TRUE
option (which I was also using; weren't you?).

73 de Rich, VE3IAY