[TRLog] Paddle Port Problem

Subject: [TRLog] Paddle Port Problem
From: kirk@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (Kirk Pickering)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:11:23 -0600
I had a new problem crop up in the CW SS with version 6.15.

I usually don't use the paddles on the parallel port, because
I like using the speed control knob on my rig to set the paddles.
I do have the parallel port plug wired up for paddles and have
occaisionally used them.

This SS I was using two radios for the first time, and needed
to use the paddle port so that the paddles would be available to
both radios.  It worked fine for 858 QSO's, then it went haywire.
The paddles would send random characters, often not Int'l Morse!
The paddles were now useless.  Arrrrgggh!

Re-booting cured the problem, but only for another 70 QSOs or so.
I resorted to plugging the paddles directly back into rig 1, and
using the keyboard (F10 is programmed as ":") to send "custom" CW
on the second rig.  Actually, you could probably operate the whole
contest without paddles using the keyboard, but I wouldn't want to.

The only thing new in the configuration was a second radio added which
was keyed by serial port 2.  Rig one is keyed via parallel 1.  Rig one
freq info is on serial 3.  Rig two had no freq info interface (couldn't
get it to work...)  The paddle is on parallel one, the same port as the
rig one CW keying line.

Any ideas?  I kind of liked using the paddle port, especially as it
stopped any message in progress immediately.  I would also  want to
use it for two radio operation, but not if it's going to flake out on
me again long into the contest.  Thanks for any input.

-Kirk  K4RO