[TRLog] TR Log Comments, etc.

Subject: [TRLog] TR Log Comments, etc.
From: k1ky@bellsouth.net (Tom Delker)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:40:21 -0600
I shall respond to the items that I use/have seen happen. Using TR-log
for almost a year now and have probably only scratched the surface on
maybe 1/2 of the features.  "Robust" only begins to desribe the features
included in the program - as it is just simply awesome.
---
Richard L. King wrote:

> FYI, I am using a 386SX with 8 meg running 6.20 and a IC765 radio on serial
> port three and CW sending on parallel port one.
>
> 1. Control-J times out too quickly.
I agree - but Tree's reason for this regarding multi-multi makes sense.
If
hit a key within that timeout period, it will stay alive.

> Could Tree provide a switch to disable
> the time-out? Or maybe increase the time-out delay by a large amount.
Since this has been added to keep the multi operations going, how about
simply disabling this timeout when multi/network isnt being used??  The
programmable timeout would also work, but then there you go adding
another
parameter!

> 2. Sometimes the screen would almost blank out without my doing anything. I
> say almost because not all the fields go away. It happens without warning
> for a second or two and occurs irregularly.
Sounds like some interaction with the frequency display communications
and
your "slow" computer.  I use a pentium laptop and havent seen this
happen.
I do plan to use TR during field day, and have experimented with some
286
laptops (floppy based no less) - and I believe I have seen this.

> 4. I had a couple of program hangs that required re-booting the computer.
> In each case the program was locked up solid and it looked like the cursor
> was fast-switching between the callsign field and the data entry field.
Ahh, the age-old lockup syndrome.  I have seen this in almost every
contest.
The quick cursor bouncing between fields is what I see also.  The
machine
is totally locked up -- no keyboard or reset key response.  I thought it
might be RF related, however every time I got in this situation, I was
trying to correct a mistake, whacking away at the keyboard very rapidly.

> 8. In the band-map, I think the "*" meant the station was already in the
> log.
The * means the call was found in your TRMASTER database and the %
number
just above the rate meter represents how many of those * items are in
your
log in relation to the non-* items.

> 9. The band-map is too busy and requires a lot of eye movement between it
> and the radio frequency when you want to determine the relationship between
> the two. I know it flashes when it is on an entry but most of the time when
> I looked, I wasn't on a entry. How about a marker line (use a bright
> stand-out color) between any two entries that your radio is between and
> enhanced high-lighting of a flashing entry.
Great idea!

> 12. Finding help or information for the many functions of the program is
> especially difficult. I'm sure that when Tree named most of the functions,
> the name he gave it at the time made perfect sense to him.
Agreed - but I sure don't want to go back and edit all my nice config
files
now that I have a years worth accumulated.  You may just have to
memorize
them through actual experience/usage.  Good idea though.

You will find the support on this reflector to be most excellent. All
you have to do is ask, and a response is usually back from someone in
short order.  I've have several occasions of last-minute questions
before
a contest and have always had responses BEFORE the contest in time to
make it work!

Thomas M. Delker - K1KY CFO#395 - Smyrna / Gallatin / Short Mtn. TN
C.A.T.S. (W4CAT) - 147.30 (114.8) / 145.23 / 223.98 / 444.45 & 444.65
Stones River A.R.C. (K4FUN) - http://www.Voy.net/~rfi/stones.html
Tennessee Contest Group (K4TCG) - http://geo1.tdec.state.tn.us/tcg.html
Fistfighters United Nashville (NT4L) 146.955 (114.8)