[TRLog] Clock/time server info

Subject: [TRLog] Clock/time server info
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:15:59 -1000
At 03:45 PM 4/28/98 -0700, Dave Earnest, K7JJ wrote:

>A couple of months back, someone put info on regarding a windows 95
>utility that allows you to automatically update the computer's clock
>whenever you go to the web.

Here you are:

To set your computer clock to NIST,  almost exactly,  download the
free program from:

        http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/index.html

This program will set your computer clock accurately to within 50 msec
or less of the NIST atomic clock.  How?  It will ping the connection between
your computer and the NIST atomic clock,  measure the delay,  and
compensate accordingly the recv'd time from NIST.  If the NIST site
is busy when you happen to try,  it switches automatically to the
US Naval Observatory clock and does the same process!

So far as I know,  this "careware" program (for a definition of same,
see the site above)  is the only program with "ping" compensation;
Atomic clock,  Dimension 4, etc  all can at best get you within
500 msec or so,  sometimes not that good because of the randomness
of the path which the Internet will provide between you and NIST.

Have fun!

73,  Jim,  KH7M