[TRLog] Serial Card Recommendations?

Subject: [TRLog] Serial Card Recommendations?
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:17:56 +0000
Scott

I originally used the  quick path 4 port card  outlined in the summary on
the WEB site (my call was N0DH in those days as noted in the article on
your WEB). The card later "died". I am currently using a card from IK model
KW-509S which has 2 highly configurable (COM 1-4, IRQ 2-15) , high speed
UARTs ports the cost. I use a COM port on the mother board for COM1, the
high speed card for COM 2 & 3. COM4 is reserved for the modem. I have also
sucessfully set up 4 independent COM machines using two 16 bit cards from
Siig (www.siig.com). 3 and 4 years ago 16 bit cards were quite hard to come
by, now a days you can find both of these card manufacturers on most any
street corner including Office Depot and Best Buy. Make em open up the box
for you however so you can read the instruction sheet to comnvince yourself
that it will cover all the IRQ combinations you want.

I have been living in a bit of a vaccumn. can one of you "experts " out
there give us an update on USB (universal serial bus) I know W98
proportedly supports it. Are there any USB cards out there yet? Does the
USB technology break the IRQ 15 and 4 independent COM port barrier? i.e. is
it true 32 bit technology???