[TRLog] Re: COM port CW keyer

Subject: [TRLog] Re: COM port CW keyer
From: v31ry@ix.netcom.com (AE0Q V31RY)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:57:43 -0600
>Marty KM7W wrote:
>
>> I'd like to try to use the CW features of the contest logging software.
>> I have a design from TRLog, which indicates a CW and PTT interface.
>> With the TS-50, I only need one (I think) that will act as a tip positive
>> straight key.
>>
>> Can I disregard the PTT stuff when I put this together (what could be
>> simpler than a 2n2222 and a 1K resistor?)
>
>K4RO wrote:
>Yes.  I don't bother with the PTT interface.

  You can also use an opto-coupler to isolate the COM port from the radio.
Helps keep RF from floating around in the PC or blowing the ports.  A
schematic for it (COM or LPT port) is on my web site:

http://www.qsl.net/ae0q/contest/opto_key.htm

>> Also, with this design, how can I "Y" connect my normal paddles/keyer
>> in line?  I'd think this is necessary ...

  When I make the TRLog 'keyer' I put a double 'Y' on the radio end of the
cable with the regular radio plug, with in-line JACKS for RCA and 1/4"
plugs..  That way I I can connect any keyer in parallel with the keying
output of TRLog (I like having a separate keyer so I can change th speed
quickly)..

73  --  Glenn
 Another month ends...   All targets met, all systems
 working, all customers satisfied, all staff eager and
 enthusiastic.    All pigs fed and ready to fly.

     AE0Q / V31RY           ex: GM5BKC, ZB2WZ, SV0WY, WA0VPK
  v31ry@ix.netcom.com    --SOWP 5558-M, QCWA LM, ARRL LM, NCVA--
http://www.qsl.net/ae0q/