[TRLog] IOTA scoring... problem?

Subject: [TRLog] IOTA scoring... problem?
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 21:17:45 -0700 (PDT)
> The Rules for IOTA state...
>
> "7. Scoring.
> (a) QSO Points.
> Each contact with an IOTA island counts 15 points.
> Other contacts count 5 points, except contacts with
> the entrant's own country or own IOTA reference,
> which count 2 points. "

Well - when I read that - I am a little confused.

Logically, when you see the period at the end of the first sentence,
and the next sentence starts with the word "Other", I would assume
that nothing in the second sentence applies to the case "IOTA island".

The reference to "except contacts with the entrant's own country or own
IOTA reference" would then only apply to the case of QSOs that are not
with an IOTA island.

There have been a number of people who have used this QSO point method
in England before, and I have not heard this complaint.

I admit that stating "own IOTA reference" is a little redundant and
can lead to confusion.

Are you SURE you are interperting the rule correctly??

Tree

"This is your language...  I am just trying to use it" - Victor Borga