[TRLog] POST & ARRL format

Subject: [TRLog] POST & ARRL format
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 06:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
> Yesterday I installed 6.29, and ran POST to produce an ARRL
> log for the electronic submission.
>
> When POST prompted me for additional "sent" information, I
> typed 08.  Here is a sample of the ARRL log it created:
>
> 20  CW 11/07/98 1200  1   OK3KZ     08 599  599  28         28       5
> 20  CW 11/07/98 1202  2   VK2IA     08 599  599  59         59       5
> 20  CW 11/07/98 1204  3   HA1CW     08 599  599  28                  5
>
> Note that sent exchange appears to be listed as "08 599" not "599 08."
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Is this the correct format for submission of the IARU logs, or
>    should I have not entered "08" when prompted by POST?

Either one would probably work.  I had recently been asked by the ARRL
to add this and proposed the solution you saw.  They agreed.

> 2) I don't ever remember being prompted by POST in the past when
>    creating ARRL-format logs.  Did something change, or am I just
>    imagining it?  Did the ARRL format itself change?

Well - the format did always ask for sent information, but that didn't
seem very useful (since it never changes).  During my previous
conversations with the ARRL, it was never an issue, but perhaps there
are now enough TR Log entries it became more of a problem for them.

> I don't want my log to be rejected or DQed because of improper formatting.

Neither do I, which is why I work closely with them to prevent this
type of problem.  My understanding is that it doesn't matter where the
data is.  They go through and pick out the data in the order they want
it by cursor position.

I am also working on improving some of the tools they use and perhaps
can make the two software packages talk to each other more efficiently.

Tree