[TRLog] PAQSO Party Dom

Subject: [TRLog] PAQSO Party Dom
From: crobson@erie.net (Chris Robson)
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 12:51:55 -0400
Chris wrote:

<<I was reading in interest to the post about the  .DOM problem and I have
set my program to run the PA QSO Party and have been testing with no
problems at all. I am using the approved abbreviations for the PA counites
and the ARRL sections and it is running with very little effort and
actually better in a contesting mode than some of the dedicated programs.
With mobiles and rovers the callsign has to be entered like the following:
KB3A/ERI and point totals will have to changed after the contest due to the
1 1/2 point cw calculations for upper band cw contacts. Multipliers have
worked with no problem since I combined all the mults to one DOM file.  I
have put my PAQSO.DOM and PAQSO-OS.DOM file along with my logcfg.dat file
on  my FTP site if you wish to take a look at how I am approaching the PA
QSO Party using TR. It can be found at  ftp.erie.net/home/crobson    Most
web browsers can access this site. If anyone needs it sent by other means,
just email me. It's not perfect, but it sure makes contesting the PA party
easy.

73, Chris KB3A>>

I looked at these files and they are still not quite up to speed.

First of all, they are all CAPITALS, which as I recall, causes some problem
with domestic mults being confused with something else by the program.

Second, no solution has been provided for confusion between Delaware Co and
Delaware state, Wyoming Co and Wyoming state, AL for Alabama and ALL for
Allegheny, etc. etc. etc.

Not everyone will know (or remember) to use DCO for Delaware County.

If you want to try it out rename an old log to something other than LOG.DAT
and use the TR READ <filename.dat> command to run the log through your new
.DOM file. I think you'll find this a tricky thing, especially when mixed
with the ARRL sections for use in PA.

I think I and others continue to be confused by .DOM files as we attempt to
customize TR to various contests.

Once again I'm trying to get ready for the PA QSO Party. Other than point
scoring differences, this should operate identically to the Cal QSO Party,
except that stations within PA work everything, in or out of PA. Yet
creating a .DOM file that works for Pennsylvania counties has eluded me.
Every time I think I have it worked out right, when I run a real log through
it, something comes out wrong.

For example, for a station outside PA, the only mults are PA counties.
Simple. But no matter how I set up the line for Montour Co, it doesn't work
right. The mult is ignored, yet POST finds it and corrects it.

I've tried it as
Mtr = MTR, MONTO, MNTR
MonTuR = MTR, MONTO, MNTR
but nothing works. (There is also a Montgomery Co to keep it complicated.)

I've tried capitalizing different letters, placing it earlier/later in the
file, etc. but this and a couple others give me fits.

This year, I'm hoping to operate from PA. Working on a .DOM file including
PA Counties, ARRL sections (other than PA) and VE provinces/territories (13)
plus one for DX, further confuses the matter.

I've tried to keep all PA county abbreviations at 3 letters (there is an
official list.) ARRL sections come out to 2 or 3 apiece. What is the best
way to deal with ARRL sections that are the same as the County name? For
instance:

WY = WY (the state)
Wyo = WYO (a county)

The same problem exists with Delaware Co.

Dco = DELC, DCO
Del = DEL

I looked at the CALQSOW6.DOM file to see what is done there. What does the
'> Ca =' do?

Is the .DOM file used in some order? In other words if a mult of ABCD was
entered, and the .DOM file read like this:

Ab = AB
Abc = ABC
Abcd = ABCD

would it work differently if it was like this:

Abcd = ABCD
Abc = ABC
Ab = AB

Also, my latest attempt seemed to ignore the VI and PR mults, instead
calling them KP2 or KP4. Seems like they are getting picked up as a DX mult
first.

It seems to me that this is probably a simple process and we have gotten
quite a bit of information about it over time, but we really need a
complete, step-by-step, set of rules for how to make a .DOM file work. It
would probably be easier to cover it in detail completely once and put it in
the manual than to keep having to answer questions like these ;-)

-- Al AE2T