[TRLog] abort cw naqp story (long)

Subject: [TRLog] abort cw naqp story (long)
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA Fairbanks Alaska)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 99 16:17:06 utc
I also had the cw delay abort problem during the NA last week-end.
I have never noticed it before. In the past if I hit ESC the cw msg
aborts - no matter what -. Last weekend I had myself wrapped
between two radios and the "which ear is calling me" mode. Keeping
with the pattern of consistently getting it wrong, I went the wrong
way. I needed to stop the msg (for no other reason then I was
sounding like an idiot) and to my surprise I couldn't abort the cw.
I hit the ESC key enough times to put me back into the previous
Wednesday.

---I think it would be nice to have a "master-PANIC-reset" that
would stop every action, store the contents of the call and report
windows, regardless of what they contain in "notes", then put you
back to the starting point of radio one, cq mode, etc.

Every now and then I get into "funny modes" and can never duplicate
them after the test. Once I had the cursor bounce between the call
and exchange line at a fast rate back and forth. Trust me on this,
you can't operate that way for very long and still copy CW.

Anyway I made note of what I had seen last week-end and didn't
think about it again until I checked  this reflector. Once again I
cannot duplicate this problem. Even on two different machines I was
unable to delay the CW msg abort.

This far North we don't have a lot of daylight in Jan and the lower
48 propagation is short. Because the NAQP draws very good operators
and a competitive score is impossible for me, it makes a great
contest to practice SO2R operating and station testing. My plan was
to make as many band changes as possible with little CQing.
Normally I don't allow stations to move me as I'm trying to win as
well, but this one I went into ping-pong ball mode and it was great
fun. I switched from version 6.11 (great issue) to 6.28. I usually
stay 10 versions behind the pack as I lack the necessary social
skills to handle program bugs.

I decided to use the station in my home instead of the Contest
building, but the PC there would need a second serial port. I would
install it in the morning before the contest. I mean, how hard can
it be after installing ether thin-nets etc.

So two hours after the contest started I gave up trying to guess
the jumper table on a serial card I found in the pile of computer
stuff and decided to use an old slow 286 with multiple ports
instead.

--I think it would be nice to have logcfg.dat be able to ignore a
line started with " or * as config files do on other programs. It
would be faster to trouble shoot some problems this way then having
to add or delete whole text.

It is very hard to duplicate problems as a lot of things are
happening in the contest that may not be the same later. I'm sure
this 286 was having problems as it was polling the radios and
loaded down with other tasks. Still I have never see this problem
before running 6.11 and was surprised that others are just now
seeing it as well.

TRLog feature enhancement creep may have overloaded the slower
machines making Rat-bert's job difficult if not impossible to fix.

Rich  KL7RA(t) Farthest North chapter