[TRLog] Cable Modem

Subject: [TRLog] Cable Modem
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth Earl Harker)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:41:11 -0600 (CST)
Here's another two-computer solution:

Computer A: runs TR Log as normal
Computer B: runs Linux and is the dialup/cable modem machine
            set up a getty process on /dev/ttyS0 (for COM port A, /dev/ttyS1
            for COM B) in /etc/inittab.  You may need to pace this to 4800 bps.
            THere is probably already a definition for this in /etc/gettydefs
Connect a null-modem cable from computer A's packet COM port to the defined
  port on computer B.
When you go to the packet window in TR Log, you should see a log-in
  prompt from the Linux machine.  Log in and it will be just as if you were
  logged in from the Linux console (just paced by the speed of the serial
  ports, of course.)
Now you can telnet, check e-mail, even web surf from inside TR.

   I've set up /dev/ttyS0 for this sort of thing in the past, but not for
use with TR Log.

Thus spoke Scott Neader KA9FOX:

> >>Anyone out there using a cable modem and telneting to an internet
> >>packetcluster? I am on @Home service and wonder if I can marry my telnet
> >>packetcluster session to TRlog. I am on a LAN connection rather than one
> >>of the com ports.
>
> I have dedicated DSL service from the phone company and am in the same
> boat.  I did some research into this and found that it is not possible to
> telnet directly from TR-Log with either of our services... unless you are
> creative.
>
> If you use either K1TTT's program or DXTelnet, then it is possible.  With
> either program, you can reroute anything coming in from a telnet session
> out to one of your com ports.  So, if you had a second PC nearby, you could
> use one of these programs to telnet to a cluster, then take a serial cable
> and go out the COM port of your K1TTT/DXTelnet PC and into a COM port on
> your TR-Log PC and voila... just tell TR-Log you have a TNC on that COM
> port and it won't be the wiser!
>
> I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, because I haven't found a cheapo
> Windoze PC to put in the shack as a second PC for this purpose.
>
> It's possible to do this from a single PC, by the way.  But you still have
> to tell the K1TTT/DXTelnet program to go out one COM Port, then take a
> serial cable and loop it back to another of your COM Ports.  Don't know
> about you, but I certainly don't have TWO spare COM Ports on my TR-Log PC!!
> Plus, I believe both K1TTT and DXTelnet are Windoze only programs, so
> you'd have to run TR-Log in a Windoze window.  I think a second el-cheapo
> Windoze PC would be cleaner.
>
> 73 - Scott KA9FOX
> INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and hosting
> Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / KA9FOX@QTH.com
> 3323 South 29th Street, La Crosse, WI  54601   / ICQ 12151451
> Free Ham Radio Classified Ads:  http://www.QTH.com/Classifieds
> KA9FOX Contesting & DXing Site: http://www.QTH.com/KA9FOX
> Internet Solutions Home Page:   http://www.QTH.com/is
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/trlogfaq.html
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
> Feature Wishlist:       http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page