[TRLog] stdcfg.dat

Subject: [TRLog] stdcfg.dat
From: dl2zav@qsl.net (Udo Lautenbach)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:39:05 +0100
Hi all,

>             Release notes for TR Logging Program - Version 6.36
>
> - STDCFG.DAT is a file you can put in the same directory as your
>   TR.EXE file and the program will always execute it as if you had
>   used INPUT CONFIG FILE for it.

This is a very helpful new feature, no more need to always insert the same
line into logcfg.dat

>   It is executed after all the other LOGCFG.DAT commands are processed.

But this surprised me several times until I found out what is going on:

If you have set a parameter to a certain value in stdcfg.dat, TR comes up
with it.
Now you change that parameter and write it to logcfg.dat with Alt-W.
Everything is OK - until you exit TR.
When you restart, TR reads logcfg.dat and sets the value as desired and
stored with Alt-W.
OK so far, but then TR reads stdcfg.dat and resets the parameter to its
previous value.
So it looks as if Alt-W was not working as expected.

That means that in stdcfg.dat you can only have PERMANENT settings that
won't ever be changed. I would prefer being able to set DEFAULT values that
can be changed online afterwards. What is your opinion? What are the
advantages of processing it at the end?

Maybe stdcfg.dat should be read in BEFORE logcfg.dat, but then it must begin
with the MY CALL statement.
Another solution would be to ask during setup of logcfg.dat and then simply
write
"INPUT CONFIG FILE = STDCFG.DAT" into it automatically, as proposed before:
>McCoskery, Larry writes:
>> This is great. But what I'd like is for the next question to be NAME OF
>> INPUT CONFIG FILE?
(Maybe add "RETURN for stdcfg.dat")
Then this file must exist, but TR could be shipped with a blank one in the
TR directory.

73, Udo
--
dl2zav@qsl.net