[TRLog] Re:

Subject: [TRLog] Re:
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 03:34:23 +0000
At 08:40 PM 3/9/99 -0800, you wrote:

>From: WA8GHZ <jdougher@wt.net>
>
>New to Win98, so here's some rookie questions for help, pse:
>Manual (new) says to put TR in own directory and put each contest in its
>own directory, and that I should put TR .exe directory in autoexec.bat
>PATH statement so it can find itself.
>Ooops - can't find an autoexec.bat in this newfangled Win98 to enter the
>PATH command, even when restarting in DOS mode.  So, how to do the
>equivalent PATH statement in Win98?

I have been running TRLog under WIN95/98 in "DOS/WINDOW" for years, no need
for autoexec.bat or rebooting to DOS, here's how (MAYBE this should go in
the NEW manual as a alternative approach)

1)Install TRLog in the Directory C:\LOG

2)When it asks you if you want a path statement in your autoexec.bat say NO
! (actually  optional ,YES will work but not necessary)

3) Find an empty spot on the WIN 98 Desk top, right click the mouse and
select <NEW>, then <SHORTCUT>

4) A window appears click the <BROWSE> box, run the arrow back and forth
under the directories till you see LOG, Click on LOG and then choose TR.EXE
from the files list. Double click on TR.EXE, you will be back in the create
shortcut window and you should see C:\LOG\TR.EXE in the box , click <NEXT>
button in window.Select a "Name" and click <NEXT> again. Pick an icon form
the list and click <NEXT> again, then <FINISH>. You now have  a TRLOG icon
on your desktop, which will launch TRLog every time you double click on it.
(without rebooting to DOS !)

5) I do the separate directory thing AFTER the contest instead of before,
.i.e. I run the contest from the LOG directory then once it is over and I'm
through running post etc.  I make a separate sub-directory under LOG with
the name of the contest I just finished and move all the LOG.DAT and *.CFG
files there for posterity. It appears from my own experience and others
that this also avoids the annoying CW slow down and other odd behaviors as
seen under WIN 95/98 when writing to disk etc. It also allows you to drop
out (<ALT> <TAB>) of TRLOG to use your PC for other things without having
to go through the  1 to 2 minute reboot process.  Then by clicking on TRLOG
down on the task bar jump back into TRLog ........ instantly! (DON'T do
this while sending CW it will lock the key down until you return to TRLog).

Direct E-mail me at n7ex@athenet.net if you are still having a problem.

Regards
Dave
K9NX

"Ding Dong the DOS is dead the wicked DOS is dead"
(sung to the tune of the "Wicked witch is dead" from the Wizard of Oz)