[TRLog] pdf

Subject: [TRLog] pdf
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:19:05 GMT
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:39:01 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Guy Olinger, K2AV writes:
>>
>> There are some number of things that one cannot do with PDF format.
>
>Just wondering - what sort of things you would like to do?

OK, here's a list, not complete...

1) Look at it online with anything other than a browser and Acrobat,
which totally hose the PC performance while I have TR running in a
contest, or while I'm running some of my remote work stuff, and
sometimes catastrophically lock up the PC (who's at fault I know not).

2) Create a text only version of certain sections which I can put in a
text file which I can search with a DOS editor running in a DOS box
that won't lock up or slow down the PC during the contest.

3) Print on opposite sides of the page and cycle in inverse order so I
can create a two sided copy of the manual on my single sided printer.
MS Word does this painlessly if one already has it.

4) Print sharply.  The PDF comes out grainy.  I share some other's
experience here. Have no idea why. For some it works fine. But I can't
afford to go out and buy a new printer to make PDF come out right, not
this year, anyway.

5) Create Large Print versions of some of the cheet sheet stuff that I
can hang on the wall and read from 5 feet away without getting up.

6) Add my own notes or lookup word to the text or index when I finally
figure out something difficult (for me).

That enough? There's more, but I have to head home.

Where I work, we have found PDF sometimes problematic and lacking a
mature set of support applications. We have to use it a lot, but it's
certainly not the best thing since sliced bread.

73,  Guy.

>> Is a word processor being used to prep the text? If so would it be
>> possible to obtain the word processor format as an alternative (not a
>> replacement).
>
>I think he is using something LaTex or similar tool to create
>the manual - so I am guessing that most folks will not have
>those tools - but I could be wrong.

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV