[TRLog] Re: SMARTDRV - not too smart

Subject: [TRLog] Re: SMARTDRV - not too smart
From: scott73@best.com (scott73@best.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:36:19

>Case in point -
>last year at field day, Just as i was sitting behind the ops running 20m CW,
>the jenny ran out of gas.  After filling it up again and restoring power,
>it was discovered that over 200+ Q's were lost from the log

> i came to find that they were running SMARTDRV
>with a huge cache.... so, in this case, 200 Q's were being queued to write
>onto the physical media, but were in RAM instead of being flushed to disk.

>- bob, w9zv

  I have been using TR-LOG with a 386 and yes, a 286 computer for the past
5 years, and have always backed up the log to a floppy every 10 QSO's.  The
10 seconds or so that the program "freezes up" is a small price to pay for
only losing maybe 15 QSO's to "computer error" for the entire 5 year period.

                Scott  W6CT