[TRLog] Log Checking

Subject: [TRLog] Log Checking
From: ve3bbh@interlog.com (Paul Hicks, VE3ZT)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:25:45 -0500
When I participate in a contest, I do so to enjoy myself, to improve my
skills and to see how I stack up with other similarly equipped stations. I
got fed up with contesting back in the 70s primarily because log
checking/submitting became a royal pain in the ass. Everything was written
by pen or pencil. I'm backing into "contesting" now because I find
contesting "fun" again, mainly because of the TR-Log program. This program
never fails to amaze and impress me with its extensive features and the
mind boggling information that it generates about the contests I have worked.

For what it's worth, my contesting strategy isn't very sophisticated.
Because my amp is blown, I'm operating LP or lately QRP in S&P mode most of
the time. I can get some runs going into Europe if propagation is
exceptional, but a lot of the contest is spent tuning up and down the band
(usually 10 meters SOSB because that's my best antenna) looking for
contacts and new multipliers.

When I log information, I'm trying to type exactly what the station is
sending. Whether he/she is sending MD or MDC; OR or ORE that's what gets
logged. Personally, I have no other choice because I don't know where a lot
of these places/sections are, and in some cases I don't know what the
abbreviations are in some of the more obscure contests. I'm depending on
the software to figure out what the correct section is--that's all I can
do. If TR-Log does not accept the mult, I don't log the contact.

I guess I'll keep on contesting unless it stops being "fun."

73, Paul
VE3ZT