[TRLog] Lockups

Subject: [TRLog] Lockups
From: kl7ra@ptialaska.net (KL7RA Fairbanks, Alaska)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:14:24 -0900
Hello Grant
You are correct. I have found the same thing. I had 4 fast PC's crash
last ARRL (see arrl m/m kl7ra (long)) on the contest reflector. I was
able to crash the machines using Ctl J and a quick scan every time.
I finally found an old config.sys file from an old non-crashing machine
that "fixed" the problem on all four PC's. I went for the smartdrv setup
as the cause and assumed the normal MS DOS defaults were not
correct. I will check the stack size, but thought I had disregarded that
as the cause early in the troubleshooting.

I have been hesitant in posting the above as I had several "false"
fixes.
Also the manual now clearly states to use smartdrive and gives the full
command line.

The reason this doesn't come up much is most people don't reformat
the hard drive and remove windows. The older, slower machines
seem to be fine.

If you take a P90 and reformat the drive and install 6.22 with a simple
config.sys file it will crash with CTL J menu as you scan down the page
somewhere around the M's. At least 4 machines do here.

If you load a pretty complete config.sys file with emm386, dos high,
smartdrv with big buffers and now maybe a large stack the lock-ups
stop.

So far!!

Rich  KL7RA

[TRLog] Lockups
>Grant writes

> I have shared this info with Tree and he suggested I also share it
with
> the reflector.
>
> I have been a user for several years.  I have several 386/486 laptops
> and have always had a lock-up problem from time to time using TRLog in
> them (DOS 6.22, no WINDOWS).  No problem with my 486 PC (same setup).
> Using ver 6.25 seemed to work better, but would still lock up once in
> awhile..
>
> I am doing my annual vacation as V21CW next month and wanted to use
ver
> 6.48 so loaded it in one of them.  Locks up if I try to increase the
> sending speed too quickly (page up) or in CTRL_J trying to page down
too
> fast.  Tried 2 other laptops and same thing.  Went back to ver 6.47
and
> also 6.46 but same thing.  I tried re-formatting the HD and only
> installed DOS 6.22, added BUFFERS=40 and FILES=50 to the CONFIG.SYS
> file.  Same problem, but I saw an error message come up about the
> README.TXT file in EMM386 (DOS) so took a look.  Under MemMaker,
EMM386,