[TRLog] Idea

Subject: [TRLog] Idea
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:21:04 GMT
I think I have an idea that would make TRlog more powerful and easier to
use.
Every time I want to setup TRlog for a contest I have to get out the manual
and see exactly how it is written ie is it ARRL 10 meter contest or ARRL10
or just ARRL 10 meter etc.
My idea is if there is no restart.bin file or log.dat file in the Log
directory, then TRlog would come up with a menu of the contests you choose
your contest and TRlog sets up you config file. If you want to set it up for
a contest not listed then the program would quiz ya on mult scoring etc and
then set up the config file after the menu program get the input it would
ask what dir to save the log file and restart.bin file.
Your config file that has your Name Call and the settings you like to use
for every contest would be in a file under a different name and TR log would
read this file and use the info to build a config file for the contest. This
file could be used for the same contest next year or deleted and let TRlog
redo it each year.
  New users say that TRlog has a steep learning curve. I thing once setup
TRlog is easy to use it is the setting up and having to learn a few Dos
commands that is the problem. If TRlog was as easy to set up for each
contest as it is to setup when you first get it then more people would use
it
Remember the menu that came up when you ran TRlog the first time? What I am
suggesting is a menu program like that which would run every time you set it
up for a new contest. This might get the people who don't like TRlog because
it is Dos based instead of windows based. I think they hate having to deal
with Dos.
  This is just an idea let me know if you think it is good or bad
73
Rick
KC5AJX