[TRLog] TRLOG crashed - nixes attempt at CQWW record

Subject: [TRLog] TRLOG crashed - nixes attempt at CQWW record
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:52:44 -0600
On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 10:01:21AM -0500, 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu wrote:

> Nope, TRLOG did NOT discard the RESTART.BIN file when I restared
> TRLOG.  I had to manually do that, after trying many other things first.
> Divining intent correctly would qualify me to count votes in Florida....

TR LOG stores the log in a human-readale ASCII text format.  This is
very useful, as you do not need another program to read or decode it, and
it's very difficult for the file to ever become corrupt and unreadable.

The downside to this is that if you had 10,000 QSOs in the log and restart
and TR had to read and re-process nearly 1MB of log data, it might take more
than a few seconds to do.  (Back in the 80386 days, 500 log entries might
have been a similar problem.)  So, TR uses a RESTART.BIN file that contains the
necessary data to have TR up and running nearly-instantaneously.  The problem
is, if this file gets corrupted in a program crash, because it is binary,
it is useless, and can do funny things to TR when you start it again.
It is up to the human operator to determine that this has happened and
delete the file.

The recent change that Tree made in this regard was to check to see that the
RESTART.BIN file in the current working directory was created by the same
version of TR as is presently running.  So, if TR 6.55 sees that the
RESTART.BIN file was made by TR 6.54, it will discard it and re-read everything
from scratch.  This lets Tree change the contents of the RESTART.BIN file
from version to version.

> From: IN%"k1ky@bellsouth.net"  "Tom Delker" 27-NOV-2000 09:54:20.23
> To:   IN%"00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu"
> CC:
> Subj: RE: [TRLog] TRLOG crashed - nixes attempt at CQWW record

> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:53:18 -0600
> From: Tom Delker <k1ky@bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: [TRLog] TRLOG crashed - nixes attempt at CQWW record
> To: 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu
>
> The restart.bin thing has been discussed on the reflector.  I believe
> the latest version TR now looks and deletes any out-of-sync restart.bin
> files.
>
> BTW another thing that can enhance stability, put in your config.sys
> file:
>
> STACKS=3D18,512
>
> --=20
> Thomas M. Delker - K1KY CFO#395 - Smyrna / Gallatin / Short Mtn. TN
> A.R.R.L. District Emergency Coordinator - Tennessee District #4
> C.A.T.S. (W4CAT) - 147.30/145.23/145.49/145.17/223.98/444.45/444.65
> Stones River A.R.C. (K4FUN) - http://www.members.home.com/srarc
> Tennessee Contest Group (K4TCG) - http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html
>          CODE WARRIOR =A9  #2  - Mobile CW Operator
>      "Putting code on the road using the primary mode"
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
> Feature Wishlist:       http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops