[TRLog] Zone Mult display, etc.

Subject: [TRLog] Zone Mult display, etc.
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (kl7ra)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:14:43 -0900
Pete Writes:

> and I must have gotten into S&P mode by accident maybe
>30 times -- just enough to be an annoyance, to me and to others.

I always smile when someone calls CQ on my freq, halts the msg
and then with a slight delay sends his call.  He's one of us!!

I switch a lot between running and S&P, not that I want to, but I live in
the arctic with its boom or bust conditions. Before some program fixes
and operational changes I would "wrong mode" it a lot.

Last weekend doing single band ten and 3k Q's I didn't make a mode
error, mostly because I follow the same pattern over and over giving
up some TRLog power.

For example:

My stdcfg.dat file has "EXCHANGE WINDOW S&P BACKGROUND = RED"
and "EXCHANGE WINDOW S&P COLOR = WHITE"
This give me a color change in S/P and now after a few years my mind seems
to recognize it.

My logcfg.dat has "AUTO S&P ENABLE = TRUE"
This starts me off in the right mode when I tune the radio after giving up
calling
CQ. As I go up/down the band looking for mults I type in their call and use the
 F1 and then F2 to call and work them. I use the CTL \  to log them. If I
happen
to come upon a clear freq where someone is using his second radio to work
a mult on another band, I hit the ENTER key and that pops me back to run mode
and TRLog calls CQ (call window empty). Hopefully I will get a packet pile-up
before he comes back. NOTE- This is called contesting.

So the strategy for me is to use the ENTER key for CQing and the F1\F2 for
S&P. I also found it helps to use the paddle more instead of trying to have
the program "do" everything. I also hit the esc key a lot whenever I get
confused as I then know where I am and what the keys will do. On long
S&P activity I do use the SPACE BAR or ENTER/ENTER to call and log
but then I know what/where I am.

This works for long 48 hour WW type contests, but of course would not
be right for sprints, etc.

73 Rich  KL7RA