[TRLog] Booting to DOS

Subject: [TRLog] Booting to DOS
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:11:07 -0500
At 10:03 AM 1/17/01 -0500, Scott Johns wrote:

>What is the best way (for TR), to avoid the problems associated with
>windows, to boot up DOS from a machine which normally runs under Win98?
>
>A). Machine off, DOS boot disk in a:drive
>
>B). Machine on in Win98, exit to DOS shell
>
>C). Machine on in Win98, shut down to DOS
>
>Also, where are sources to get DOS and to get cheap parallel and serial
>cards for an old 486 machine?

If you must, then I prefer a 4th option.  Pressing F8 repeatedly while
booting up will drop you into safe mode.  Select the command prompt option
and you have your DOS shell.  Your options B and C are really the same
thing -- the Win98 term is restart in MS-DOS mode.

As long as I remember to stop all the background processes, TR works great
in a Win98SE DOS window on my 200 MHZ Pentium.

Lava, Boca and some others used to make ISA cards that have 1 parallel and
2 serial ports, for <$20.  I'm not sure if they are still being made or
not, but they should work fine with your 486.  One note -- the Lava card's
printer port works fine under Windows but doesn't work with some DOS
programs (though it does with others, including edit.com).  It probably has
something to do with how they address the memory segment it uses for its
LPT port, which is (I think) not standard.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at