[TRLog] Hello

Subject: [TRLog] Hello
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:39:33 -0500
On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 10:35:24AM -0700, N7LQ wrote:

> TRLog appears to offer many of the features that I would like in a logging
> program for my application.  I am
> interested in comments from users, especially those who are active in VHF
> contesting.

I use TR LOG for all my VHF contesting efforts.  I'll be using it tonight
in the 50MHz Spring Sprint, in fact.  I think it works really well.
I use the grid map, and set it to show me more grids to the north, as the
majority of stations are to the north of STX.  To work rovers, you just
enter call/R and TR is smart enough to know you can work them again in
other grids, but not again in a grid in which you've already worked them.
If you enter your six-digit grid locator in the config files, and another
station you're working on, say, two meters tells you their six-digit
grid locator, TR can give you forward and reverse beam headings to help
you line up for microwave QSOs.  In POST, you can get a breakdown of grids
worked per band and such.  TR works well with DVKs like the W9XT DVK, which
makes a non-band-opening VHF contest much less painful.

> I am curious also about how difficult it is to import my previous logs from
> VHFDX to TRLog.  I know that VHFDX
> uses a binary file format and there doesn't appear to be any translation
> programs around, at least none that I could
> find online.  I can, however export in a comma delimited as well as the old
> ARRL format from VHFDX.  Will TRLog,
> or one of the translating applications import this to a format that TRLog can
> then import?

The best log conversion utility I know of is LogConv by KA5WSS:
http://www.qsl.net/ka5wss/logconv/.  If you can't get it to work exactly,
LogConv is open-source, so either you or KA5WSS or a friend of yours
can probably modify it to handle the obscure format.

> Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I look forward to your comments.
>

> de N7LQ
>
> Shawn
> DM09dp and DN01fa
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
> Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
> Feature Wishlist:       http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops