[TRLog] TR-log problems when using IC-725

Subject: [TRLog] TR-log problems when using IC-725
From: Alan Kaul" <alan.kaul@worldnet.att.net (Alan Kaul)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:27:02 -0800
OTHERS WROTE:

> Perhaps we could begin by documenting the TR features that do not and with
> which Icom radio they don't work. This way we might be able to work up a
> rough spec and pass it on to Tree. How does that sound? Other suggestions?

That would be very useful.
Tree
------------------------------
I  ran a dummy test run with my old ICOM 725 and used the following logcfg
information:

MY CALL = W6RCL
MY PREC = Q
MY CHECK = 58
MY SECTION = LAX
CONTEST = SWEEPSTAKES
DISPLAY MODE = COLOR
KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1
RADIO ONE TYPE = IC725
RADIO ONE RECEIVER ADDRESS = 40
RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 2
RADIO ONE BAUD RATE = 1200
BAND MAP ENABLE = TRUE

-------------------------------
Default baud rate is 1200 for the IC725, and the interface does not control
radio at other baud rates.  I don't know which baud rate is the TR default
baud rate.

I loaded TR 6.59 and tried as many as the functions as possible.

The following problems were experienced:

The ARROW keys DID NOT make the radio either QSY up or down.

ALT B/ALT V -
More often than not the radio would hold the new frequency and not return to
original frequency.  BUT, sometimes
the radio would QSO to the new band, sit there for a couple of seconds, then
bounce back to the original frequency.

When ALT B/ALT V did change to the intended frequency, it always selected
the WIDE filter, even if the CW NARROW FILTER had previously been in use on
both the old band and the new band.

ALT F-
The screen window would indicate "FILE SAVED TO FLOPPY"  but the floppy did
not run and nothing was recorded on disk.  However, it seems to have backed
up the log to the C-drive in the same directory where TR-log was installed.

ALT N-
When operating the radio with single VFO in use (i.e. NOT SPLIT), the
frequency would briefly jump to new frequency, then it would put the radio
into SPLIT MODE and the frequency would revert to the frequency that had
previously been entered into the SPLIT FREQ XMT VFO (even if it involved
being on another band).  Manually taking the radio out of SPLIT, and
changing VFO's in the radio, would put the radio on the frequency entered
using the ALT N command.

The following ALT keys seemed to work properly:
A, C, D, E, H, J, K, M, O, P, Q, S, T, U, X, Y,

The following CTRL keys seemed to work properly:
J, K, N

I'm not sure what result to expect from the following keys, but they
appeared to make no changes in the radio's operation or in the logging
screen (I readily admit that the commands were unfamiliar and I have never
used them on any radio!):

ALT G, ALT W,  ALT =, ALT -, ALT  1

Of all the problems I experienced, I believe the FILTER CHANGE from NARROW
CW to WIDE CW is the most significant.  And if Tree were able to solve ONLY
ONE PROBLEM, the most pressing for me would be making the radio retain the
NARROW FILTER when changing bands!

Thanks for your interest.....
Best 73 to all.....

Alan Kaul, W6RCL, LaCanada, CA